Sunday, June 30, 2013

Final thoughts


Everyday this trip was packed with adventure and great learning experiences. As a group, we worked well together and had a great time. As an individual, I learned a lot about science, Costa Rica, and myself.
-Sam

This trip was one of the best experiences of my life. It was worth every penny and I don't regret any of it. I will miss this group so much we have gotten so close and have become a family. It was sad to say goodbye but hopefully one day we will be back! I spent 10 days with the most amazing students, scientists, and teachers. Being able to use what I learned in the classroom, in the field and learn from failure was hard at times but rewarding in the end. This was an experience that I will never forget.
~Camille Johnson

Every moment in Costa Rica was so amazing and it's hard to believe that it's over. The science we learned and experienced is something that can't be replicated in a classroom. We have all become so close to each other in the past ten days that I will definitely miss everyone. I have learned so much and I will miss every memory made. It has truly has been one of the best experiences of my life and I am thankful that I was able to spend it with the best teachers, scientists and students.
~Annie Kleckner-Thiele

It was fun. Jake Helgerson

It was an honor to get a head start on a breakthrough that will shake the foundation of humanity. Learning to use the tools that will revolutionize medicine and the way we perceive life was a phenomenal experience. I learned that I have a lot more knowledge at my finger tips than I realized.
-DJ Pearson

I had such an amazing time learning how to sequence genes and being able to use the tools that will change the future of science.
~ Kelly Sandhofer

This was such an amazing, one of a kind experience. The chance to participate was truly an honor, and I will always remember this trip, and all the people I either met, or got to know better throughout it.
~Erin Dehler

I had a great time being able to work with real scientists and live in Costa Rica for 10 days. This was the experience of a lifetime and I do not regret any of it. I had the chance to learn about myself and connect with the person I've become. I learned that a classroom is one place but learning stretches every corner of the globe.
~Tyler Maas

Costa Rica was a whole new experience that can not be replicated anywhere else. It was great to spend 10 days with peers that shared the same excitement for science. The trip really gave me the courage to think big and to try new things and having the chance to go to Costa Rica was truly a unique experience. I had some great laughs and memories that I will always treasure. Words can not describe how much I learned about myself and science.
~Sarah Hoogenboom

This trip to Costa Rica was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Amazing food and people, the rain forest, the ocean, and diving into science with world class scientists. What more could I ask for? I learned so much more studying science in the field during these 10 days than I ever have in a classroom. I realized that you can never truly understand something unless you immerse yourself in it. I have always been passionate about science, but this research trip has intensified that passion. If I could, I would do it all over again.
~Erica Salhus

It would be impossible to describe these past ten days in a few simple sentences! Learning and experiencing Costa Rica was such an amazing opportunity that I will never forget, nor regret. Every day in the rain forest was an adventure filled with delicious food, a lot of laughs, knowledge, and people coming closer together. This trip has taught me so much, but I think the most important lesson that I learned while working with Dr. Pinto is that it is okay to fail- not just in science, but in everything you attempt- because learning is all about the journey, not just the outcome.
~Lindsey Salhus

These past few days have truly been a blessing and a gift. Learning and researching within Costa Rica has been an amazing opportunity and it has made me realize what I want to do in life. From day one of this trip everything has been a opportunity to learn and create memories about. Although I got pretty beat up this trip I look forward to next year in hopes that I can be a second year student and study bioinformatics. I learned a lot and I hope to keep learning more for years to come. Overall this was an experience I will never forget.
-Jacob M. Noble

For any students that are considering going into the science career field, this trip is absolutely invaluable. In the Seeds of Change program you experience hands on what it is like to participate in science, whether its through microbiology or bioinformatics. This experience really instills a knowledge that cannot be learned in a classroom and accurately shows the potential of a science focused career. I would take this trip again in a heartbeat, and am ecstatic I went a second year.
-Hannah Van Sambeek

For me, the past 10 days in Costa Rica were absolutely amazing. From gram stains to plantain chips, Adrian Pinto to zip-lining and plastic cones to airport security, this trip has been a great experience. I learned more and experienced more in these ten days that I could ever have expected or dreamed. It was the most fun I have every had while learning. This kind of trip should replace school since it is so much more effective. The trip made me more passionate about science... and leaf cutter ants.
~Caroline Urban

No comments:

Post a Comment